COVID-19 Student Health Service FAQs

Get a test to check if you have coronavirus, understand your test result and find out what to do if you're contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

Is the Student Health Service open?

The premises at Mile End (Ground floor, Geography Building) are open and the admin team are there to help. Due to COVID-19 new health and safety arrangemetns only one person can use the waiting area at a time. Registrations can take place online and appointments with a doctor can be arranged online, or by phone on 02089803023.

Can I register with the Student Health Service?

Yes. Students living in Queen Mary accommodation at Mile End or Whitechapel and students living in the borough of Tower Hamlets (postcodes E1, E2, E3 and E14) are encouraged to register with the Student Health Service online. Also, if it is clinically appropriate and practical in your individual case, the Student Health Service offers out of area registration without home visits for the students who live within inner London.

I' ve moved back to my home/family address in the UK. Can I have my prescription sent to a pharmacy close to my home address?

Yes. Please request your repeat medication as normal using online access, making sure you nominate the pharmacy you wish your prescription to be sent to (more information is available here). If you don't already have access to online services then download and activate the NHS app which will give you access to order your prescription online. Repeat prescriptions are available within 48 hours from ordering, but it might take longer if your chosen pharmacy is not in England.

I am registered with the Student Health Service and I would like to access my recent blood test results. What should I do?

Please download the NHS app. After you download the app, you will need to set up an NHS login and prove who you are. The app then securely connects to information from the GP surgery. The app doesn't require you to register with the Student Health Service reception.

If you cannot download or use the app you can contact the admin team at 02089803023 (after 11 am Monday - Friday) or go to e-Consult  and choose "I want administrative help".

Can you send my medical note or other documentation to my email address?

The practice use a secure sms service to send documentation such as sick notes. Please contact the Student Health Service through e-Consult and provide your mobile number/contact details.

Can I still book a face-to-face appointment with a doctor?

Currently it is not possible to book a face-to-face appointment directly. You can use e-Consult  or call the admin team at 02089803023 to provide more information about your symptoms. You will then be offered a phone or a video consultation, sent information via SMS text message or requested to come in (if required), depending on your symptoms and your medical history.

What support is available for students who are clinically extremely vulnerable and are shielding?

If you are not in the UK, please follow the instructions of your doctor regarding travelling. Please contact your department directly and they will advise you on how you can continue your studies remotely.

Any students already registered with a GP in England who are clinically extremely vulnerable will have received information about shielding and updates as and when the situation changes. Details on who is at risk, when there is a need to shield and where, as well as support for those who are shielding is listed on the NHS web pages

I've been feeling a bit depressed lately, especially with the Coronavirus situation. What support is available?

We have listed some useful resources here. You can also arrange an appointment to speak to a GP. 

You can also contact the Advice and Counselling Service and arrange a telephone conversation with one of our counsellors. 

The Talking Therapies service is still open and accepting new referrals, but they are providing all assessments and therapy remotely. You can find more information about the service as well as details of their COVID-19 specific live seminars here. It is possible to self refer for assessment and for access to counselling.

What support is available for students who have been asked to self-isolate?

For those living in Queen Mary accommodation please get in touch with the Residential Support team at : or at: +44 (0)20 7882 6470 and they will be able to help you.

If you live in private accommodation and you need help with food and other essential shopping or you need someone to collect your medication, please register with the NHS Volunteer Respondents at 0808 196 3646 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week). The services they provide might change at short notice depending on government guidance in response to the pandemic.

If you are an international student and you do not have a UK bank account or a UK issued credit card, please ensure you have enough cash to pay for food shopping and other essentials that you might need while in self isolation. The NHS Volunteer Respondents can handle a limited amount of cash. You can also register with the Student Health Service online and arrange an e-consultation with a doctor or order a prescription.

The Student Space is a new service launched by Student Minds (the UK's Student Mental Health charity) providing emotional support and guidance to students during the pandemic. You can get in touch with them by phone, text or webchat. We have also put together some tips about keeping well during the pandemic and making the most of our Queen Mary services. 

Queen Mary policy requires me to wear a face covering in all common indoor circulation spaces. What if I am unable to wear one due to a medical condition?

Please collect a sunflower lanyard from the Disability and Dyslexia Service, Room 3.06, Francis Bancroft Building, Mile End Campus during their opening hours. Sunflower lanyards are part of the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower scheme, a national scheme which discreetly signals to people that the wearer may need additional support, help or a little more time.

The scheme was launched in 2016 and has now been adopted globally by major airports and venues and in the UK, by many supermarkets, railway and coach stations, leisure facilities, the NHS, a number of police, fire and ambulance services, and an increasing number of small and large businesses and organisations.

However, wearing a sunflower lanyard is completely optional. It’s important for everybody at Queen Mary to be mindful and respectful of the fact that some people are exempt from wearing face coverings.

I have a question that has not been answered by these FAQs. What should I do?

Please email us at