Student Health Service FAQs

When is the Student Health Service open?

The Student Health Service premises at Mile End (Ground floor, Geography Building) is open on weekdays, Monday to Friday, during office hours - 9am to 5pm. Students can also access services online and through the Suttons Wharf Health Centre premises (26 Palmers Road, London, E2 0FA , Tel: 020 89803023).

Can I register with the Student Health Service?

Yes. Students living in Queen Mary accommodation at Mile End or Whitechapel and students living in the borough of Tower Hamlets (postcodes E1, E2, E3 and E14) are encouraged to register with the Student Health Service online. Also, if it is clinically appropriate and practical, in your individual case, the Student Health Service offers out of area registration without home visits for students who live within inner London.

I've moved back to my home/family address in the UK. Can I have my prescription sent to a pharmacy close to my home address (Home students)?

Yes, if the chosen pharmacy is in England, but it may not be possible to send it if the chosen pharmacy is outside of England. Please request your repeat medication as normal using online access, making sure you nominate the pharmacy you wish your prescription to be sent to (more information is available here). If you don't already have access to online services, then download and activate the NHS app which will give you access to order your prescription online. Repeat prescriptions are available in England within 48 hours of ordering. If you reside outside of England, please contact the Student Health Service on 020 7882 8710 to make alternative arrangements.

I am registered with the Student Health Service and I would like to access my recent blood test results. What should I do?

Please download the NHS app. After you download the app, you will need to set up an NHS login and prove who you are. The app then securely connects to information from the GP surgery. The app doesn't require you to register with the Student Health Service reception.

If you cannot download or use the app, you can contact the admin team at 020 8980 3023 (after 11am Monday - Friday) or go to e-Consult and choose "I want administrative help".

Can you send my medical notes or other documentation to me electronically?

The practice uses a secure SMS service to send documentation such as sick notes. Please contact the Student Health Service through e-Consult and provide your mobile number/contact details. Please note that not all documents can be sent via text due to the size of the document.

Can I book a face-to-face appointment with the doctor?

You can use e-Consult to provide more information about your symptoms. You will then be offered a phone or a video consultation, sent information via SMS text message, or requested to come in (if required), depending on your symptoms and your medical history.

I'm struggling with my mental health, what support is available?

If you would like support with your mental health, you can contact the Advice and Counselling Service and arrange an appointment with one of our counsellors. You can also arrange an appointment to speak to your GP.  

The Talking Therapies service in Tower Hamlets is open and accepting new referrals. It is possible to self-refer for assessment and for access to counselling. Anybody with a Tower Hamlets address or registered with a GP in Tower Hamlets can access the Talking Therapies service. For students living outside Tower Hamlets please speak to your GP or look for similar services offered by your local council. 


What should I do if I test positive for Covid-19? 

We ask that students follow the latest government guidance. Any absences from classes should be reported to your Student Support Officer. If you are unsure who to contact, a list of Student Support Officers can be found here. Student support staff can also advise on extenuating circumstances if needed. 

Can I get the Covid-19 vaccine? 

Yes, you can book an appointment to have your COVID-19 vaccine online

If you have any questions about COVID-19 vaccinations, please contact

How can I get an NHS COVID Pass? 

People in England who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 can use the NHS COVID Pass to demonstrate their COVID-19 status. 

If you’re aged 18 or over, you can get an NHS COVID Pass for domestic venues and events. 

If you’re aged 16 or over you can get an NHS COVID Pass for travel abroad but you should follow the entry requirements of the country you are travelling to. 

A full course is currently two doses of the Moderna, AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccine, or one dose of the Janssen single-dose vaccine. Vaccine status will be available through the NHS COVID Pass service from: 

  • the NHS App, which you can download from app stores 
  • the NHS website 
  • 119 - by requesting a paper letter 

You will need to register to use the NHS online services if you have not already. If you cannot access the online services, and you have had both doses of the vaccine, you can request a paper letter from the NHS by calling 119. Only call 119 if you are due to travel outside the UK soon and have had your second dose (or one dose of the Janssen single-dose vaccine) more than 5 working days ago. It may take up to 5 working days for the letter to arrive. 

Unfortunately, the Student Health Service is not able to provide you with a letter that shows your COVID-19 vaccination status. Please do not contact the practice about your COVID-19 vaccination status unless you have been advised to by the 119 service. 

COVID vaccinations abroad

If you have had your COVID vaccinations abroad, you can make us aware of the vaccinations you have had, and we can add these to your medical record, but this will not update the NHS app.  

The 119 NHS team have a service that is designed to help people access a COVID pass when they have had one or both COVID vaccinations abroad. Patients should call 119 and explain that they need the Advice & Guidance desk.  

If you are aged 18 years old or over, have an NHS number and have received one of the MHRA-approved vaccines outside of England you can book an appointment online to show evidence of any COVID-19 vaccinations you have had. The NHS can then securely update your vaccination record. For more information and to book an appointment click here.  

Can I get a medical report for my employer?

Yes, however, some non-NHS services will incur a charge. Please view a full list of these services and their costs.

What are the symptoms of monkeypox and who should I contact if I have symptoms?

Monkeypox is a rare illness caused by the monkeypox virus. It is usually associated with travel to Central or West Africa but cases have been occurring in England with no travel links.

What are the symptoms?

  • Recent unexpected/unusual spots, ulcers or blisters anywhere on your body
  • Fever
  • Headaches
  • Muscle aches
  • Chills and exhaustion 
  • Swollen glands

The rash usually appears one to five days after the first symptoms and often begins on the face before spreading to other parts of the body. The rash can sometimes be confused with chickenpox. It starts as raised spots, which turn into small blisters filled with fluid. These blisters eventually form scabs which later fall off.

The symptoms usually clear up in two to four weeks.

How does it spread?

Monkeypox can be spread through close contact with someone who has the virus. For example:

  • Kissing, skin-to-skin contact or having sex with someone with the monkeypox rash.
  • Touching clothing, bedding or towels that have been used by someone with the monkeypox rash.

Who should I contact if I have symptoms?

Anyone with recent unexpected/unusual spots, ulcers or blisters on any part of their body should contact NHS 111 for advice. There is also a Monkeypox Helpline: 0333 2423 672 (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm; Sat & Sun 9am-1pm).

Avoid close contact with others until you have had medical advice.

More information can be found on the NHS website.

Can I bring my medication into the UK?

There are regulations about bringing medication into the UK. These vary depending on whether or not your medication contains a controlled substance. You can find detailed guidance about the steps you need to take before travelling on the UK Government website.

I'm an Exchange Student, how do I register with the Student Health Service?

To register as a temporary patient for the duration of your time at Queen Mary, download the Temporary Resident (GMS3) form, complete it and return it to the Student Health Service reception. 

I have a question that has not been answered by these FAQs. What should I do?

Please email us at